In the Winter I spend lots of time indoors because, “baby it’s cold outside”!! Our lavender plants are “sleeping in”, all dormant, happily covered with a blanket of snow! I love the serene beauty and stillness of our wintery lavender farm 🙂
I keep myself busy this time of year packing orders from our website, and taking care of our wholesale accounts. When I’m not doing that, I’m baking yummy breads & tasty treats for Lavender Joe, and my friends. 🙂 Here’s a link on our Pinterest of some of the Tasties that I’ve made through the past years: My Tasty Creations
Baking has always been one of my favorite creative hobbies, and I grew up with a Mother that loved baking breads, and other pastries. When I’m baking, all my creative energy and thoughts are focused on the process, which helps me de-stress!! Baking is an amazing healing aromatherapy, especially when cooking with lavender!! As the lovely lavender aroma fills my busy kitchen, a calming peace surrounds me… just Breathe! When I’ve completed what I made, the true joy comes as I share my tasty treat with another!
Today I made a delightfully delicious Lavender Cream Cheese and Jam Bread Pudding!! It’s now my favorite bread pudding! I used our Organic Signature Blend, English Lavender. It lends a lovely delicate floral note to sweet desserts, and bread.
I begin with these pantry staples. Homemade Sourdough Bread and Organic English Lavender. Only the best raw and wholesome ingredients! Slice your day old bread to fit into your baking dish, in two layers, then remove it and begin spreading on softened cream cheese. Spread jam on each slice, in two layers. I’ve used a wonderful sweet, tart Jam that my dear husband made me, Plum Black Current Jam. It’s so yummy, sweet & tart!
Whisk together the custard ingredients: I added 1 tsp. English Lavender “whole buds”, into my mixture. If you’d like, you could grind the lavender “finely” with a little sugar in your spice grinder, for a more delicate texture. Then gently pour it over your bread, and allow to sit 30 minutes.
Place your dish of bread pudding into a larger roasting pan, and carefully fill the pan halfway with boiling water. Then it goes into your preheated oven to bake 55 minutes, or more, until custard is set.
While it’s baking, prepare this awesome, lavender bourbon whiskey sauce or whipping topping. I just tossed in 1 tsp. culinary lavender, however you could grind it more finely if you choose. One of my favorite motto’s is: “Keep it Simple and Keep it Tasty”!!
It would be a delightfully delish dessert for Valentines Day with it’s lovely red color from the Jam! BTW, it’s also a Breakfast Food, served with Greek Yogurt! Yummy!
- 8 slices white bread ¼' thick (left to dry out on a rack 4 hours or overnight)
- *I used my homemade Sourdough Bread
- 1 tsp butter
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- ⅓ cup good quality raspberry jam (I used Plum Black Current Jam my husband made)
- 2½ cups milk (I used Almond Milk)
- 1 tsp. culinary English lavender "Signature Blend"
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup organic sugar
- pinch salt
- *Lavender Bourbon Whiskey Sauce
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground English culinary lavender, (Hood River Lavender, Signature Blend)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup butter, room temp.
- 3 Tablespoons Bourbon Whiskey or to your taste (Yukon Jack works also)
- Preheat oven to 325'
- Fit the bread into an 8" square pan in two layers, trimming where needed. Remove the bread from the pan, and butter pan bottom and sides. Spread cream cheese, then jam evenly over all the bread slices. (If this seems a little messy, it is)
- Put one layer of bread in the bottom of the pan, cream cheese and jam side up. Then put the second layer of bread on top of the first, also with cream cheese and jam up.
- Whisk together the milk, lavender, vanilla, and eggs. Add sugar and salt, whisk to dissolve the sugar. Pour over the bread in the pan and push the slices down into the milk mixture to be sure they are soaked. (cover & allow custard to soak into bread for 30 minutes)
- Put this pan into a larger one, and fill the larger pan halfway with hot water. (I suggest that you do this by the stove to avoid spills) Carefully place into the oven, and Bake for about 55 minutes, or until a knife placed in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 1 hour, if you can wait that long! ;-) *Serve with Lavender Bourbon Whiskey Sauce. Taste like heaven on earth, Goodness!
- *Instructions for Lavender Bourbon Whiskey Sauce:
- Finely grind the culinary lavender, by placing ¼ cup sugar & 1 tsp lavender in a spice grinder or coffee grinder.(I tossed my culinary lavender into the pan whole) In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, lavender and egg, stir until well blended. Add butter, stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in whiskey. Pour it on, freely, and enjoy a taste of heaven! (Cream Cheese Bread Pudding author:unknown, Bourbon Whiskey Sauce: Linda Stradley, I'll Have What They're Having)
Happy Winter and cooking with Lavender!!
XO Lavender Lady