This weekend is Harvest Festival weekend in our beautiful Hood River Valley!! We will be serving samples of my famous hot fall drink, “Lavender Ginger Cider” at our lavender farm! Our retail cottage is stocked with tons of luxurious lavender products for the weekend, including our culinary lavender, “Signature Blend” & “Provence“. Joe lavender just brought several dozen “Grosso” lavender plants out of the greenhouse. It’s not too late to get these starter plants in the Dirt 🙂 We’ve had the most awesome warm sunny fall this year, and it’s encouraged our English Lavender to explode with a lovely 2nd bloom! 🙂 Many folks have cut their own beautiful fragrant lavender posies to take home and enjoy!! What a delight for young and old, making memories on the farm!!
Here is a wonderful, irresistible Lavender Cinnamon Pear Skillet Cake for you to enjoy with your family. Perfect with a hot cup of lavender ginger cider on a cool fall evening! Enjoy!!
- 4 Pears, peeled & cored
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I used ½ cup whole wheat flour & ½ cup all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons organic English culinary lavender "Signature Blend" (finely ground)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 cup sugar (I used ½ cup honey)
- 1 egg, room temp.
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Butter inside of 8-9" cast-iron skillet. You can scale the recipe up or down if your skillet is a different size. I doubled the recipe since I used a 12" cast-iron skillet. Chop 2 pears, and slice the remaining 2 for top of cake. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, culinary lavender & salt in small mixing bowl. In stand mixer, mix the butter and sugar (I used honey) together on medium speed for about three minutes, then add egg and vanilla and blend on medium speed approx. three minutes, scraping sides of bowl if needed. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture mixing until blended. Use a rubber spatula to fold pears into the batter. Pour the batter into your skillet & spread out evenly. Fan the pear slices out on top of the batter. Place skillet on middle rack of oven & bake 35-45 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I increased cooking time for several to minute intervals, checking with toothpick until center of cake was done. (You might need to bake longer if you're using large pears & doubling the recipe) Enjoy with fresh whipping cream or ice cream! This cake has a delightful delicate flavor of cinnamon, lavender and fresh pears making it irresistible and delicious!!! (adapted from vintage cakes)
These Beautiful upick lavender bouquets were cut this month…. October 😀 Amazing!! I love it!!!
We look forward to seeing you this coming weekend. Bring family and friends, and have fun at our celebration of this years bountiful harvest!! 🙂 Ohhh….I Love all the fresh local Pears & Apples from our beautiful Hood River Valley!!!! 🙂 Check out many varieties of locally grown fresh pears & apples and other events going on at different farms on the Fruit Loop! We have several picnic tables for you to enjoy a picnic, if you like, at our lavender farm.
We are truly thankful for all our customers that visited us during this past season and also online! You bring joy and delight into our lavender world! Cheers to Fall and the bounty of the season!!
Fall Cheers! Lavender Lady 🙂