To ring in the New Year 2015, I want to start by gazing into these cheerful photos, being transported back to warmer summer days at our fragrant calming lavender farm! Awe… Inhale deeply with me, and let the sweet heady aroma surround you, and encourage peace & relaxation……..as I tell you of a very precious, special moment I experienced while running my lavender farm one summer day 🙂
Through A Child’s Eyes & Heart <3 One summer day a couple visited with their young daughter, about 6-7 years old. They spent a few moments strolling around our lavender farm, and then walked into my Retail Cottage to check out our lavender products. Their daughter said, ” Mama, can I go out and walk in the Maze, to relax and meditate”. Her mother said, ” certainly honey” 🙂 At first, I didn’t understand what she was asking, “walk in the Maze”, what Maze is she speaking about. Then I watched her walking toward my Wildflower Garden. I understood it then, she wanted to meander along the little path through our fragrant Wildflowers, and maybe sit on a bench relaxing, and meditate a few quiet moments in nature!! 🙂 I thought, how beautiful is this!! Wow, if only we adults could get back to our youthful days, and live simply, in the moment with a Youthful Heart finding more peace and joy right where we are!!! This is my New Year’s resolution!! 🙂 Finding simple, quiet, peaceful moments right where I am each day, and sharing it with others!! Whether it’s relaxing at a lavender farm, a park bench in the city, or a seat on the bus….there is peace, joy and love to be found, right where you are!!!
I wanted to share this Yummy Lavender Lemon Bar recipe with you. It has a delicious light floral, lemony flavor that is sure to be a hit at your New Years’ Party or Tea Time! Enjoy!!
- Lavender, Lemon and Cranberry crust:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened, plus more for greasing pan
- ½ cup organic granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground culinary lavender
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups organic granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 7 Tablespoons lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Sprigs of lavender, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch pan with aluminum foil (with a 2 inch overhang on all four sides) and grease the bottom and sides with butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter with sugar, culinary lavender, and vanilla on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on medium-low until incorporated.
- Mix in the cranberries and lemon zest.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.(I pricked the bottom of the crust several times with a fork before placing it into the oven)
- Bake until slightly brown, about 25 minutes.
- For the Filling: Make while the crust is baking.
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs, lemon juice, flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Pour the filling over the baked crust and continue baking until the filling sets and is slightly brown on the edges, about 25 minutes or more. (Continue cooking longer, 2-3 minutes, until filling completely sets up)
- Let cool completely in the pan. Use the foil edges to help lift the bars out of the baking pan.
- Cut into 24 or more squares and dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with lavender sprigs! These yummy Lavender Lemon Bars are sure to be a hit at your New Years Party!
- (Recipe adapted from Chuck Hughes,Lemon-shortbread-cookies)
Whatever your New Year goals or resolutions are for 2015, we wish you the Best in life, in the Simple Moments each day!!
Happy New Year 2015 from Hood River Lavender!!Relax and Get Close To Lavender..be Calm & be happy!!